18 Jan R3 Alliance Online Prayer, David, A Man after God’s Own Heart, Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Magnifying the God of David’s Heart
Acts 13:22, 36 NIV
‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’
For when David had served God’s purpose for his generation he fell asleep.
David penned the Psalm O magnify the LORD with me; (Ps. 34:3). As we pray today we will use David’s life to magnify the Lord. We are revisiting Dr. Rutland’s message on Sunday. The endeavor is to enlarge the God of David as we examine the life lessons of his successes and failures.
More than any other individual in Scripture, save Jesus, David is written about. When David was good there was none better. When David was bad there was none worse. We find in this man a mess, a message, and a magnificent God. His life was a conglomerate portrait of conflict, compromise, and consequences juxtaposed with devoted commitment, defiant resolve against evil and idolatry and a determination to serve God’s purpose for his generation.
The language God used to define David is noteworthy: …a man after My own heart… The Hebrew word for “after” is (kat-ah’); joined; about the other; according, alike, or in line; pertaining to or in the manner of; The word for “My own”; gives reference to: same composition or make up; a mirror reflection of; a part of God’s possession enveloped in David’s inner self.
We learn that when David succeeded he gave all the glory to the greatness of God. When David failed he gained recovery from all the greatness of God’s grace. In the New Testament we read Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon where the ends of the ages have come (1 Cor. 10:11 NASB). David went from being deemed illegitimate and most unlikely to succeed to being the covenant son by which Jesus would be called. For our gleaning we would do well to read Tozer here: God is quick to overlook our imperfections when He knows we intend to do His will. Although He may chasten us, He does so with the smile of a Father who is bursting with pleasure, not over an imperfect man, but a promising son, who is coming every day to look more and more like the One whose child he is.
David gives us hope with perspective. The God of David loved him knowing his flaws and faults beforehand as well as afterward. The hope we have is, that God loves us, not because we are perfect, but as imperfect, we are being perfected by perfect love. Even now God is searching our hearts to find a heart after His own heart. For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong in behalf of them whose heart is perfect towards Him (1 Chron. 16:9).
Today we spiritually rebuild David’s Tabernacle in Five ways to learn from his example:
- The God of David’s CONFLICTS and CONSEQUENCES
- The God of David’s GENIUS and FOOLISHNESS
- The God of David’s DESIRES and SACRIFICES
- The God of David’s GREATNESS and GOODNESS
- The God of David’s PURSUITS and PURPOSE
- The God of David’s CONFLICTS and CONSEQUENCES
Psalm 138:8 NIV
(A Psalm of David)
The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; Your love, O LORD, endures forever—
do not abandon the works of your (own) hands.
General Direction: To understand that all of us have inner conflicts with ourselves and that there will be consequences to our sowing and reaping, however, God can still step in when invited and clean up our messes and help us resolve both our personal issues, as well as, the issues that confront us without.
- Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven,Whose sin is covered.2 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity,And in whose spirit there is no deceit.3 When I kept silent, my bones grew old Through my groaning all the day long.4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me;My vitality was turned into the drought of summer. Selah 5 I acknowledged my sin to You,And my iniquity I have not hidden.I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”And You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah 6 For this cause everyone who is godly shall pray to You In a time when You may be found;Surely in a flood of great waters They shall not come near him.7 You are my hiding place;You shall preserve me from trouble;You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah –Ps. 32:1-7 NKJV
- Give ear to my words, O Lord,Consider my meditation.2 Give heed to the voice of my cry,My King and my God,For to You I will pray.3 My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;In the morning I will direct it to You,And I will look up.4 For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness,Nor shall evil dwell with You.5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;You hate all workers of iniquity.6 You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.7 But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy;
In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple. –Ps. 5:1-7 NKJV
- Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger,Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure.2 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak;O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled.3 My soul also is greatly troubled;But You, O Lord—how long?4 Return, O Lord, deliver me!Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!
5 For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks? 6 I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim;
I drench my couch with my tears. –Ps. 6:1-6 NKJV
- Have mercy upon me, O God,According to Your lovingkindness;According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,Blot out my transgressions.2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,And cleanse me from my sin.3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,And my sin is always before me.4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,And done this evil in Your sight—That You may be found just when You speak,[a] And blameless when You judge. 6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me hear joy and gladness, That the bones You have broken may rejoice. 9 Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. –Ps. 51:1-4; 6-11 NKJV
- 22 Cast your burden on the Lord,And He shall sustain you;He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. –Ps. 55:22 NKJV
- 22 Cast your burden on the Lord,And He shall sustain you;He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. –Ps. 50:14-15 NKJV
- I waited patiently for the Lord;And He inclined to me,And heard my cry.2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,Out of the miry clay,And set my feet upon a rock,And established my steps.3 He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God;Many will see it and fear,And will trust in the Lord.4 Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust,And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. –Ps. 40:1-4 NKJV
- 23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,And He delights in his way.24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;For the Lordupholds him with His hand. –Ps. 37:23-24 NKJV
- 11 Come, you children, listen to me;I will teach you the fear of the Lord.12 Who is the man who desires life,And loves many days, that he may see good?13 Keep your tongue from evil,And your lips from speaking deceit.14 Depart from evil and do good;Seek peace and pursue it.15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,And His ears are open to their cry.16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,To cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears,And delivers them out of all their troubles.18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart,And saves such as have a contrite spirit.19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,But the Lord delivers him out of them all. –Ps. 34:11-19 NKJV
- 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.—1 Jn. 1:7, 9 NKJV
- 13 He who covers his sins will not prosper,But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.14 Happy is the man who is always reverent,
But he who hardens his heart will fall into calamity. –Prov. 28:13-14 NKJV
- 8 The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way,But the folly of fools is deceit. 12 There is a way that seems right to a man,But its end is the way of death. – Pro. 14:8, 12 NKJV
- How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?How long will You hide Your face from me?2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,Having sorrow in my heart daily?How long will my enemy be exalted over me?3 Consider and hear me, O Lord my God;Enlighten my eyes,Lest I sleep the sleep of death;4 Lest my enemy say,“I have prevailed against him”;Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.5 But I have trusted in Your mercy;My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.6 I will sing to the Lord,Because He has dealt bountifully with me. –Ps. 13:1-6 NKJV
- To be calm and confident that when our life is in God’s hands He will accomplish and perfect that which concerns us and fulfill our purpose; He will not forsake or abandon the work of His hands!
- To overcome inner conflicts with personality flaws and the influence and approval of men over God’s.
- To be open and honest with the LORD as to our circumstances and inner world.
- To be quick to confess sin and repent while keeping short accounts with God.
- To know that God seeks the truth in the inner most places and will help us where we invite Him.
- To let God create a clean heart within us and grant us a willing spirit to sustain us.
- To accept that there are consequences to our compromises and what we sow is what we will reap.
- To know God will finish what He started and complete His project of making us perfected son/servants.
- The God of David’s GENIUS and FOOLISHNESS
Psalm 139:12-14 Amplified Bible
(A Psalm of David)
For You did form my inward parts; You did knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will confess and praise You for You are fearful and wonderful and for the awful wonder of my birth! Wonderful are Your works, and that my inner self knows right well.
1 Samuel 30:6b
…but David encouraged himself in the LORD.
General Direction: To realize the genius of God in our construct and that His craftsmanship has equipped us to fulfill His intended purpose; to confront the iniquity that seeks to undermine our progress and torpedo our fulfillment of God’s purpose and counsel; to develop the experiences of learning how to encourage ourselves in the LORD.
- 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity; –Jer. 29:11-14a NKJV
- 13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;Let them not have dominion over me.Then I shall be blameless,And I shall be innocent of great transgression.14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight,O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. –Ps. 19:13-14 NKJV
- It happened in the spring of the year, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the people of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David remained at Jerusalem. –2 Sam. 11:1
- 27 And Joab said, “As God lives, unless you had spoken, surely then by morning all the people would have given up pursuing their brethren.” –2 Sam. 2:27 NKJV
- 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. –Phil. 3:12 NIV
- 9 Help us, O God of our salvation,For the glory of Your name;And deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins,For Your name’s sake! –Ps. 79:9 NKJV
- 7 And he touched my mouth with it, and said:“Behold, this has touched your lips;Your iniquity is taken away,And your sin purged.” –Is. 6:7 NKJV
- 16 “Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes.Cease to do evil, –Is. 1:16 NKJV
- 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[a]ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. –Jn. 15:7 NKJV
- Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. –2 Cor. 7:1 NKJV
- 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. –2 Tim. 2:20-21 NKJV
- 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. –Jam. 4:8 NKJV
- 14 But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought for Himself a man after His own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be commander over His people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.” –1 Sam. 13:14 NKJV
- 7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” –1 Sam. 16:7 NKJV
- 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:16 ‘After this I will return And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;I will rebuild its ruins,And I will set it up;17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,Says the Lord who does all these things.’18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works. –Acts 15:15-18 NKJV
- To understand that God created us in wholeness and holiness and not in sin and iniquity.
- To know that God has a genius in us and has gifted us for a specific purpose and that we are to discover, develop, and deploy.
- To realize our purpose we must ask the Creator, not the creation.
- To seek the instructions of God knowing they will lead us away from self-sabotage and the pattern of destruction and lead us to true freedom and abundant life.
- To learn how to find internal strength and encourage ourselves in the LORD when there is none to be found around us.
- To understand that we cannot be who we are intended to be and do what we are called to do until we take hold of that which has taken hold of us in Christ.
- To come to the end of ourselves regarding foolishness and cease from denying, making excuses, transferring blame to others, or procrastinating our responsibility for gross sin or transgression.
- To understand that when we draw near to God He will draw near to us every time!
- The God of David’s DESIRES and SACRIFICES
Psalm 27:4 NKJV
(A Psalm of David)
ONE THING HAVE I DESIRED OF THE LORD,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.
2 Samuel 24:24 NIV
King David…replied, “No, I insist on paying you for it.
I WILL NOT SACRIFICE TO THE LORD MY GOD BURNT OFFERINGS THAT COST ME NOTHING.”
General Direction: To understand the power of focus and the one thing desired of the LORD and that our human efforts to please God through religion, rituals, ceremonies, and self-sacrifices cannot match a broken and contrite heart; to understand the fear of the LORD and the measure of our sacrifices must be the measure of His worth to us.
- 7 But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy; In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple.8 Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies;Make Your way straight before my face. –Ps. 5:7-8 NKJV
- 7 I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel;My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.8 I have set the Lord always before me;Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;My flesh also will rest in hope. 11 You will show me the path of life;In Your presence is fullness of joy;At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. –Ps. 16:7-9, 11 NKJV
- 23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;You hold me by my right hand.24 You will guide me with Your counsel,And afterward receive me to glory.25 Whom have I in heaven but You?And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.26 My flesh and my heart fail;But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.28 But it is good for me to draw near to God;I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,That I may declare all Your works. –Ps. 73:23-26, 28 NKJV
- Truly my soul silently waits for God;From Him comes my salvation.2 He only is my rock and my salvation;He is my defense;I shall not be greatly moved. –Ps. 62:1-2 NKJV
- Hear my cry, O God;Attend to my prayer.2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You,When my heart is overwhelmed;Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.3 For You have been a shelter for me,A strong tower from the enemy.4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah –Ps. 61:1-4 NKJV
- I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever;With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations. –Ps. 89:1 NKJV
- 6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;And attend to the voice of my supplications.7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon You,For You will answer me. –Ps. 86:6-7 NKJV
- 17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears,And delivers them out of all their troubles.18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart,And saves such as have a contrite spirit.19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,But the Lord delivers him out of them all. –Ps. 34:17-19 NKJV
- 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,And sinners shall be converted to You. 15 O Lord, open my lips,And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;You do not delight in burnt offering.17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,A broken and a contrite heart—These, O God, You will not despise. 19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,With burnt offering and whole burnt offering; Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar. –Ps. 51:12-13, 15-17, 19 NKJV
- Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord;2 Lord, hear my voice!Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.3 If You, Lord, should mark iniquities,O Lord, who could stand?4 But there is forgiveness with You,That You may be feared.5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,And in His word I do hope.6 My soul waits for the Lord More than those who watch for the morning—Yes, more than those who watch for the morning. –Ps. 130:1-6 NKJV
- 3 He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds. 10 He does not delight in the strength of the horse;He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man.11 The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him,In those who hope in His mercy. 15 He sends out His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly. –Ps. 147:3, 10-11, 15 NKJV
- 38 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’[a] feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” 41 And Jesus[b] answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” –Lk. 10:38-42 NKJV
- This is what the Lord says: “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be?
2 Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the Lord. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word. –Is. 66:1-2 NIV
- 18 And we all, with unveiled face, continually seeing as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are progressively being transformed into His image from [one degree of] glory to [even more] glory, which comes from the Lord, [who is] the Spirit. –2 Cor. 3:18 Amp.
- To learn to concentrate our focus on the one thing that counts and never will be taken from us.
- To ascertain the fear of the LORD and learning to never cheat ourselves or God.
- To realize the weight of a sacrifices will measure the worth we behold in Him.
- To comprehend that our self-sacrifices and token offerings cannot please God or glorify Him because they promote us.
- To know that the sacrifices that please God are a broken and contrite heart.
- To allow the LORD to teach us His way, to walk in His truth, and render the reins of power to Him alone.
- To capture the concept of beholding is becoming and that we are to set our sights and vision on Him.
- The God of David’s GREATNESS and GOODNESS
Psalm 31:19 NKJV 48:1; 23:6 NIV
(A Psalm of David)
Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear you…
Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
General Direction: To magnify God’s greatness and goodness not David’s; to know it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance and His lovingkindness is better than life.
- 18 If I regard iniquity in my heart,The Lord will not hear.19 But certainly God has heard me;He has attended to the voice of my prayer.20 Blessed be God,Who has not turned away my prayer,Nor His mercy from me! –Ps. 66:18-20 NKJV
- 8 Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness,And for His wonderful works to the children of men! 43 Whoever is wise will observe these things,And they will understand the lovingkindness of the Lord.—Ps. 107:8, 43 NKJV
- I love the Lord, because He has heard My voice and my supplications.2 Because He has inclined His ear to me,Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.3 The pains of death surrounded me,And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;I found trouble and sorrow.4 Then I called upon the name of the Lord:“O Lord, I implore You, deliver my soul!”5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;Yes, our God is merciful. –Ps. 116:1-5 NKJV
- 9 How can a young man cleanse his way?By taking heed according to Your word.10 With my whole heart I have sought You;Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,That I might not sin against You. –Ps. 119:9-11 NKJV
- Out of the depths I have cried to You, O Lord;2 Lord, hear my voice!Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.3 If You, Lord, should mark iniquities,O Lord, who could stand?4 But there is forgiveness with You,That You may be feared.5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,And in His word I do hope.6 My soul waits for the LordMore than those who watch for the morning—Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.7 O Israel, hope in the Lord;For with the Lord there is mercy,And with Him is abundant redemption.8 And He shall redeem Israel From all his iniquities. –Ps. 130 NKJV
- Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!2 It is like the precious oil upon the head,Running down on the beard,The beard of Aaron,Running down on the edge of his garments.3 It is like the dew of Hermon, Descending upon the mountains of Zion;For there the Lord commanded the blessing—Life forevermore. –Ps. 133 NKJV
- 164 Seven times a day I praise You,Because of Your righteous judgments.165 Great peace have those who love Your law,And nothing causes them to stumble. –Ps. 119:164-165 NKJV
- 8 The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,Slow to anger and great in mercy.9 The Lord is good to all,And His tender mercies are over all His works.10 All Your works shall praise You, O Lord,And Your saints shall bless You. 14 The Lord upholds all who fall,And raises up all who are bowed down.15 The eyes of all look expectantly to You,And You give them their food in due season.16 You open Your hand And satisfy the desire of every living thing.17 The Lord is righteous in all His ways,Gracious in all His works.18 The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,To all who call upon Him in truth. –Ps. 145:8-10, 14-18 NKJV
- 8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! –Ps. 34:8 NKJV
- …knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? –Rom. 2:4b NKJV
- 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. 11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. –Jn. 15:8, 11 NKJV
- 8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly,To love mercy,And to walk humbly with your God? –Micah 6:8 NKJV
- 7 Therefore I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me. 8 Do not rejoice over me, my enemy; When I fall, I will arise; When I sit in darkness, The Lord will be a light to me. He will bring me forth to the light;I will see His righteousness. –Micah 7:7-8, 9b NKJV
- 28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,29 for our “God is a consuming fire.” –Heb. 12:28-29 NIV
- 7 I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the Lord And the praises of the Lord,According to all that the Lord has bestowed on us,And the great goodness toward the house of Israel,Which He has bestowed on them according to His mercies,According to the multitude of His lovingkindnesses. –Is. 63:7 NKJV
- 3 For the Lord is the great God,And the great King above all gods.—Ps. 95:3 NKJV
- 4 For the Lord is great and greatly to be praised;He is to be feared above all gods. –Ps. 96:4 NKJV
- 68 You are good, and do good; Teach me Your statutes. –Ps. 119:68 NKJV
- 7 Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions;According to Your mercy remember me,For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord. –Ps. 25:7 NKJV
- To magnify God’s goodness and greatness not ours.
- To exalt the greatness of God’s grace and mercies and that His lovingkindness is greater than life itself.
- To celebrate that our God hears our cries for help and will answer and help us when we fall.
- To hide His word in our hearts and allow His Word to order our steps in the path of life.
- To understand that God is most glorified when we are most satisfied with Him, His will, His Word, and His ways.
- To proclaim His goodness and worship knowing that our God is good and does good and has no evil intent towards us.
- To be confident that the goodness of God leads us to repentance and that the goodness of God will shut the mouths of our accusers.
- The God of David’s PURSUITS and PURPOSE
Psalm 42:1-2 NKJV
(A Psalm of David)
As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?
Acts 13:22, 36 Amplified Bible
I have found David…a man after My own heart,
who will do My will and carry out My program fully.
For David, after he had served God’s will and purpose and counsel
in his own generation, fell asleep (in death)…
General Direction: To comprehend that God will seek to find those who chose to be chosen and found in Him; that God will build a foundation of character to give us courage to face the giants in the land; to realize that God finds pleasure in us when we find Him as the treasure we seek; to trust in God’s sovereignty in what He purposes and establishes.
- 11 Teach me Your way, O Lord;I will walk in Your truth;Unite my heart to fear Your name.12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And I will glorify Your name forevermore. 13 For great is Your mercy toward me, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. –Ps. 86:11-13 NKJV
- 4 Blessed is the man You choose,And cause to approach You,That he may dwell in Your courts.We shall be satisfied with the goodness of Your house,Of Your holy temple. –Ps. 65:4 NKJV
- 7 “I will declare the decree:The Lord has said to Me,‘You are My Son,Today I have begotten You.8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance,And the ends of the earth for Your possession. 10 Now therefore, be wise, O kings;Be instructed, you judges of the earth.11 Serve the Lord with fear,And rejoice with trembling.12 Kiss the Son, lest He be angry,And you perish in the way,When His wrath is kindled but a little.Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him. –Ps. 2:7-8, 10-12 NKJV
- 11 Come, you children, listen to me;I will teach you the fear of the Lord.12 Who is the man who desires life,And loves many days, that he may see good?13 Keep your tongue from evil,And your lips from speaking deceit.14 Depart from evil and do good;Seek peace and pursue it.15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,And His ears are open to their cry. –Ps. 34:11-15 NKJV
- 5 Thus says the Lord:“Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength,Whose heart departs from the Lord.6 For he shall be like a shrub in the desert,And shall not see when good comes,But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness,In a salt land which is not inhabited.7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,And whose hope is the Lord.8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,Which spreads out its roots by the river,And will not fear[a] when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit. 9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? 10 I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind,
Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings. –Jer. 17:5-10 NKJV
- 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity; –Jer. 29:11-14 a NKJV
- But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob,And He who formed you, O Israel:“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;I have called you by your name;You are Mine.2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,Nor shall the flame scorch you.3 For I am the Lord your God,The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;I gave Egypt for your ransom,Ethiopia and Seba in your place. –Is. 43:1-3 NKJV
- 2 Why, when I came, was there no man?Why, when I called, was there none to answer?Is My hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem?Or have I no power to deliver?Indeed with My rebuke I dry up the sea,I make the rivers a wilderness;Their fish stink because there is no water,And die of thirst. 4 “The Lord God has given Me The tongue of the learned,That I should know how to speak A word in season to him who is weary.He awakens Me morning by morning,He awakens My ear To hear as the learned. 7 “For the Lord God will help Me;Therefore I will not be disgraced;Therefore I have set My face like a flint,And I know that I will not be ashamed. 10 “Who among you fears the Lord?Who obeys the voice of His Servant?Who walks in darkness And has no light?Let him trust in the name of the Lord And rely upon his God. –Is. 50:2, 4, 7, 10 NKJV
- 4 Who has performed and done it,Calling the generations from the beginning?‘I, the Lord, am the first;And with the last I am He.’” –Is. 41:4 NKJV
- 9 The Lord of hosts has purposed it,To bring to dishonor the pride of all glory,To bring into contempt all the honorable of the earth. –Is. 23:9 NKJV
- 24 The Lord of hosts has sworn, saying,“Surely, as I have thought, so it shall come to pass,And as I have purposed, so it shall stand: –Is. 14:24 NKJV
- Indeed I have spoken it;I will also bring it to pass. –Is. 46:11b NKJV
- 21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart,but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails. –Pro. 19:21 NIV
- 18 Plans are established by counsel;By wise counsel wage war. –Pro. 20:18 NKJV
- To everything there is a season,A time for every purpose under heaven: 17 I said in my heart, “God shall judge the righteous and the wicked,
For there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.”–Eccl3:1, 17 NKJV
- 28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. –Rom 8:28-29 NKJV
- 11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), –Rom 9:11 NKJV
- 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, –Eph. 1:11 NKJV
- 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. –1 Jn. 3:8 NKJV
- 8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. –Dan. 1:8 NKJV
- The wicked flee when no one pursues,But the righteous are bold as a lion. – Pro. 28:1 NKJV
- To evict the enemies in the Promised Land and destroy the works of the evil one.
- To develop a thirst for God and God alone, not allowing the things of this world to quench our in thirst.
- To position ourselves in faith and faithfulness to be found by God where we have taken what we’ve received of Him and given it back to Him on-purpose.
- To develop an “On-purpose Lifestyle” knowing that everything has meaning and measure.
- To comprehend that God is not pleased with religion or self-idolatry but with worship and service in spirit and in truth.
- To believe in and accept the Sovereignty of God’s wisdom in what He chooses and chooses not.
- To understand that all things work together in the purpose of God.
- To realize we must face the giants within before we can face the giants without.