08 Jan Awakening Champions Day 5 – AWAKENING GENEROSITY
“And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said,
‘IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE.’” –Acts 20:35 NKJV
God is a giver! For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son… Giving is a construct both of creation and redemption. We observe in creation the formation of “seed-time and harvest” (Gen. 8:22) which causes all things to multiply, replenish, and have dominion of advancement in growth and abundance. Creator God encoded every seed with instructions to reproduce and multiply in like kind.
And God said, let the earth bring…yielding seed and the fruit tree yielding fruit after its kind, WHOSE SEED IS IN ITSELF, upon the earth: and it was so. –Gen. 1:11
Jesus taught in the Parable of the Sower, i.e. Law of the Harvest, was the parable of all parables. (Mark 4:2-20) So essential to understanding is the kingdom of heaven that Jesus said: “If you do not understand this parable how will you understand all parables?” (Mark 4:13). Bible scholars refer to the Parable of the Sower as the “Entry Parable”. It not only was the first, but it overarches all others. Jesus was saying, in other words, if you do not get this life lesson you will not get anything else. A parable is an earthly illustration of a heavenly reality.
Giving is also a function of redemption. God sowed a Son and reaped a family! Jesus was the firstborn of all creation. “Unto you is given the mysteries of the kingdom of God.” (Mark 4:11). Interestingly it’s the 411 number that is well known in dialing for information! Therefore we need to “Mark 411” to unfold the mysteries of the kingdom in giving. There is depth and riches in knowing seed-time and harvest in all things!
As we pray through the Word of God tonight we must do two things:
- When we pray to AWAKENINGING GENEROTISY we are literally praying to have the heart of God in us for He is THE MOST GENEROUS BEING in the universe.
- We need to pay close attention to what the Scriptures inform us concerning giving. For it is in our giving we unlock the secret of a harvest reserved for us in heaven; the harvest that can only be reaped when God gives seed to the sower and the sower sows! Herein lies the secret of our increase or the suffering of our loss!
Giving and generosity is not limited to financial matters. It permeates everything, every time, everywhere we are. The Scripture reveals that it transcends time and eternity. From the parable of the talents, the Good Samaritan, the least of these, and heavenly reward of earthly stewardship. “Because you have been faithful with the little things. I will give you charge over much.” (Matt. 25:21) Giving and generosity leaves nothing untouched and includes all things in this world and to the world without end!
There are four dimensions of AWAKENING GENEROSITY in each of us:
- ADOPT THE GOD-MOTIVE IN GIVING
- ADOPT THE GOD-MEANS OF GIVING
- ADOPT THE GOD-MANDATE FOR GIVING
- ADOPT THE GOD-MANIFEST TO GIVING
The Bible tells us that we have been given the “Spirit of adoption” (Rom. 8:14-16; Gal. 4:6). But adoption as sons and daughters goes beyond belonging to the Father’s family. Our adoption is directly linked to our eternal inheritance as God’s chosen people. Ephesians 1:5, 14 specifically lays out the divine purpose of God’s will in adoption: “In love He predestined us to be ADOPTED as sons through Jesus Christ….who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance…” Belonging to God’s family is only the beginning of our heritage as God’s children. Salvation is free—the rest is going to cost you.
to take up or start or use (an idea, method, or course of action); to embrace or accept and put into effect;
to take ownership or make it your own
I. ADOPT THE GOD-MOTIVE IN GIVING
Pray into God’s motive of generosity in love.
a reason for doing something; the cause or being of something;
the basis or intention behind a though or deed
Father, we ADOPT THE GOD-MOTIVE IN our giving—the Authenticity of love.
- Father you gave because You “so loved the world”—purify our motives in all our giving to love through our giving as You so loved us.
- Father give us Your heart of generosity of learning to give whether someone deserves it or not. Because You “Demonstrated your love for us, in that, while we were yet sinners Christ laid down His life in sacrificial love for us.” (Rom. 5:8)
- Father help us not to calculate our giving in just giving enough to “get by” attempting to “tip God” or just give a “token offering” or even what is acceptable in man’s eyes, because Your word says: “How great is the love the Father lavished on us, (extraordinary, incredible quality, cup overflowing giving)…that we should be called the sons of God. (1 Jn. 3:1 Amp.) Teach us to give extravagantly the way you did!
- Jesus, You came to show us the Father’s heart and You said the Greatest Commandment was to “Love God with everything and to love our neighbor as ourselves”:
- The Good Samaritan showed a heart of generosity in helping his neighbor going—above and beyond –what was necessary to see that his neighbor fully recovered.
- Teach us to have the heart of a “Good Samaritan” to give even when there is nothing to gain for us and for those to whom we give—even though they can give us nothing in return.
- Holy Spirit open our eyes to see that our generosity in all things becomes a fragrant aroma in the offering, an acceptable sacrifice, that pleases God (Phil. 4:18) because it embodies the heart of God by Awakening the spirit of generosity in us.
- Father teach us to freely give as we have freely received. (Mt. 10:8)
- Open our eyes to the totality of generosity—that *GIVING IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING:
- GIVE UP –surrender to God’s right of ownership.
- FORGIVE—as we are forgiven in Christ.
- GIVE OVER—control to God in total trust.
- GIVE TO—where generosity is required.
- GIVE IN—to obedience and giving as a lifestyle.
- GIVE WISELY—because of the law of use and reciprocity (sowing/reaping).
- GIVE THANKS—in all things for God is good.
- Father help us weigh our motives when giving that we do not give to be seen of men—because You told us we would not be rewarded in heaven—help us not just to give in order to get something in return, thus our giving is born out of a selfish motives. (Matt. 6:1-4) Your word “divides asunder the soul and spirit and reveals the intentions and motives of the heart.” (Heb. 4:12) Let Your Word do heart surgery in our giving so that we can *GIVE:
- To the RIGHT THINGS
- At the RIGHT TIMES
- In the RIGHT WAYS
- For the RIGHT REASONS
* Excerpts from The Key to Everything, Dr. Jack Hayford
II. ADOPT THE GOD-MEANS OF GIVING
An action or system by which a result is brought about;
a method, instrument, or technique for an intended purpose ;
to determine a cause and its effect
Now He who gives seed to the sower….will also supply and increase your store of seed
and enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.
You will be made rich in IN EVERY WAY SO YOU CAN BE GENEROUS ON EVERY OCCASION.
And God is able to make ALL GRACE abound to you, so that in ALL THINGS AT ALL TIMES, HAVING ALL THAT YOU NEED, YOU WILL ABOUND IN EVERY GOOD WORK.
–2 Cor. 9:10-11, 8 NIV
Father, we ADOPT the GOD-MEANS OF giving.
- Teach us the Law of Seed-time and Harvest. (Gen. 8:22; Gal. 6:7-9)
- To understand that we are given seeds to sow and not consume upon ourselves.
- Teach us that kingdom-sowing is:
Giving something I have in order to create something I’ve been promised.
- Holy Spirit enlighten our perspective that sowing and reaping involves—ALL and EVERYTHING. (2 Cor. 9:6-11):
- ALL GRACE
- ALL THINGS
- ALL TIMES
- ALL THAT WE NEED
- EVERY WAY
- EVERY OCCASION
- EVERY GOOD WORK
(There is nothing our giving and receiving does not touch or involve!)
- Holy Spirit, help us understand that giving is not dropping money in an offering bucket—but giving is living our lives on a cross—it is our reasonable service—our intelligent acts of worship in offering our bodies as a living sacrifice. (See Rom. 12:1-2; Gal. 2:20; Col. 3:1-3)
- Jesus help us to imitate the totality of Your giving to us.
Greater love has no man then this that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends—I lay down My life—no man takes it from Me, but I lay it down Myself.
This commandment I have received of My Father. (Jn. 15:13; 10:17-18)
- Holy Spirit enable us to practice sowing in believing that, although we do not give to get, we can sow to expect a harvest—because the Father promised “Whatever a man sows, THAT, shall he also reap.” (Gal. 6:6-9)
- Father help us to remember that sowing and reaping occurs in good things and bad—in spiritual ways and in carnal-corrupt ways—our desire is a righteous harvest and kingdom produce of Holy Spirit-born-fruit that remains. (Jn. 15:8, 16; Gal. 5:22-23)
III. ADOPT THE GOD-MANDATE FOR GIVING
commission to do something; an instruction;
a directive on how to carry a course of action;
to give someone authority to act in a certain way
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness;
and all these things shall be added to you.—Jesus (Matt. 6:33 NKJV)
Father, we ADOPT the GOD-MANDATE FOR giving—the principle of first things first—best things not leftover things—Priority One in all things.
- You were the example of giving first things first when: “Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world.”
- You honored Abel’s offering over Cain’s because he brought You the first and best of the first born of his flock. “The LORD looked with favor on Abel (and his offering) but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.” (Gen. 5:4-5 NIV)
- Teach us that we rob You of the opportunity to bless the other 90% of our income and increase when we do not return Your tenth to You. (Mal. 3:7-12)
- Show us that it is in giving of the tithe that we literally “open the windows of heaven” over us so that You can pour out blessings on our obedience. (Mal. 3:7-12)
- Jesus, You informed us about Kingdom Priorities and the Principle of First things in the tithe when You said, “You should practice the weightier matters of the law—justice, mercy, and faithfulness, WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE TITHE (you shall not do one thing and leave the other undone.)” (Matt. 23:23)
- The more blessed we are the greater responsibility is required. (Lk. 12:47-48)
- We follow your mandate of ordering You as first in all of our priority lists. You are not first on our list—You are first in everything on our list! You are not on the top of our lists—You are before everything on our lists.
- We put You first in the tithe so that You can rebuke the devourer from us. (Mal. 3:7-11)
- Tithing is proof of our honor for the You, LORD. (Prov. 3:9; Mal. 3:8-11)
- Tithing is the mandate and means that “Our storehouses will be filled with plenty, and your presses shall overflow with new wine.” (Prov. 3:9)
- According to the Old and New Testaments: “The tithe is the Biblical minimum of our financial commitment to God.”
You do not desire our lasts and leftovers in dishonor. Your desire our first and best—this is acceptable and honors You the way you honored us by sowing into us Your first and very best.
- Teach us to give by REVELATION not CALCULATION—in kingdom-math 9 is greater than 10—with God 90% goes further than 100%, moreover, the devourer is driven away from our harvests and increases, as well as, our possessions and storehouses.
IV. ADOPT THE GOD-MANIFEST TO GIVING
clear or obvious to the eye or mind; to demonstrate or display;
to unfold or reveal; to make evident; to recognize and make easily understood
Be mature even as Your Father in heaven is mature.
Give and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together
and running over, shall men give unto your bosom. –Jesus (Matt 5:48; Lk. 6:38)
Father, we choose to ADOPT the GOD-MANIFEST TO our giving—the Generosity of supply and demand.
- “For the earnest expectation of the creature waits for the MANIFESTATION OF THE SONS OF GOD…the firstfruits of the Spirit…waiting for the ADOPTION, the redemption of our body.” (Rom. 8:11, 23 NKJV)
- We MANIFEST the Spirit of God on our money and break the spirit of Mammon. (Mt. 6:24)
- We MANIFEST honesty and trustworthiness in worldly wealth knowing one day You will trust with “true riches” in heaven. (Lk. 14:47-48; 16:10-13)
- We MANIFEST the JOY OF GIVING because we were the joy set before You. “The Author and Finisher of our faith…(Jesus) who for the JOY SET BEFORE HIM, endured the suffering and shame of the cross…” (Heb. 12:2)
“God loves a cheerful giver…(takes pleasure in, prizes above, takes special delight—whose heart is in giving).” (2 Cor. 9:7)
- We MANIFEST obedience to Your commands for us. “All these blessings shall come to you and overtake you… Blessed you will be when you come in and when you go out. The Lord will command the blessing upon your storehouses and in all you set your hand to. The Lord will open to you His good treasure…and bless the work of your hand. You shall lend and not borrow… the Lord shall make you the head, and not the tail; you shall be above only and not beneath. The Lord Your God will set you on high above all nations of the earth.” (Deut. 28:2-12, 1b)
- We MANIFEST freedom over our finances. “Take heed, beware of greediness; for a man’s life does not consist of the abundance of the things he possesses.”
“…covetousness which is idolatry.” (Col. 3:5)
“Where the Spirit of Lord is there is freedom.” (2 Cor. 3:17)
- Our giving breaks the stronghold of selfishness and destroys the yoke of greed off of us!
- We MANIFEST discipline of sowing where we are going-
God wants to prosper me – not just to raise my standard of living—but to raise my standard of giving. “Give and it shall be given to you…” (Lk. 6:38)
- We MANIFEST the Spirit of Generosity in all our giving:
“A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor…but the borrower is servant to the lender.” (Prov. 22:9, 7 NIV)
“One person gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
A generous person will prosper;
whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” (Prov. 11:24-25 NIV)
- We MANIFEST the motto: WE LIVE TO GIVE: “Jesus paid it all—all to Him I owe.”
We owe Jesus a debt of love and everlasting gratitude. “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love….” (Rom. 13:8 NIV)
- We MANIFEST God’s glory in our reproduction and increase. “My Father is glorified when you BEAR MUCH FRUIT.” (Jn. 15:8, Matt. 25:14-30)
- We MANIFEST Your blessing so that the world may see that, as Your chosen people, our significance is NOT in our similarities to them, but in our differences of living the blessed life before You.
“You shall remember that the Lord your God: for it is He that gives you the power to get wealth, that HE MAY ESTABLISH HIS COVENANT…” (Deut 8:18)
“All the nations will call you BLESSED, For you will be a DELIGHT TO THE LAND, says the Lord of Hosts.” (Mal. 3:12)
- We seal this prayer time tonight with the AWAKENING OURSELVES to NEW GENEROSITY for 2017
Awaken our Generosity as:
I. We ADOPT the GOD-MOTIVE IN OUR GIVING
II. We ADOPT the GOD-MEANS OF OUR GIVING
III. We ADOPT the GOD-MANDATE FOR OUR GIVING
IV. We ADOPT the GOD-MANIFEST TO OUR GIVING
You have ADOPTED us not only as those “accepted in the beloved” but as those whose INHERITANCE is great when you say:
“Well done, good and faithful servant, because you have been
faithful over that which is least—I will give you charge over much!
Enter into the joy of Your Father who is in heaven.” –Jesus (Matt. 25:21)