28 Jun R3 Online Prayer, WHO DO YOU SAY THAT I AM? Wed., June 28, 2017
Matthew 6:13-15 NKJV
(Jesus) asked His disciples, saying, “who do men say that I, the Son of man, am?”
So they said, Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah,
and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them,
“BUT WHO DO YOU SAY THAT I AM?”
There are two great truths of life:
- God is God.
- We are not.
It was clear here that Jesus wanted to hear the revelation from the Father from the mouths of His followers. In teaching His disciples
to pray Jesus began at the beginning to declare that God is. God exists. The Bible says, “The fool has said in his heart there is no God.”
It is just as important for us to know who God IS as it is who He is NOT. Religion attempts to project a god of man’s making when only
the Living God reveals Himself as He IS. Man can claim all manner of things about God but it doesn’t change God. Furthermore, just
because people say things about God does not make what they say true. One example is when terrorists shout “allahu akbar” when
committing a heinous acts of murder in the name of a false god –Allah. The declaration is a misrepresentation of the true God and the
name Allah is not a Biblical name of God.
Declaring who God is both Biblical and Constructive. Salvation and forgiveness are based on verbal confession. One of the most powerful things we can do as the “tefillah” of God (the speaking creature or the praying spirit) is to receive revelation of who God is then speak it back to Him in His presence, as well as, to ourselves, and before saints and sinners. Here are just a few Biblical imperatives on confession:
“Let the redeemed of the Lord say so…”
“I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge…”
“Power of life and death are in the tongue.”
“Let the weak say I am strong.”
“I believe, therefore, have I spoken.”
“Whosoever shall say to this mountain be removed… therefore, whosoever things you desire, when you pray,
believe you receive them, and YOU SHALL HAVE WHATEVER YOU SAY.”
Declaring who God is, what He has done, and what He has promised to do magnifies the LORD in our vision in two ways:
- It dethrones the enemy and demoralizes him.
- It builds us up to believe that whatsoever He has promised He will do.
It is with the heart we believe but it is with the mouth that believing is made complete. (Rom. 10:9-10)
Psalm 62 and Isaiah 48 speaks of the absoluteness of God’s sovereignty and the exclusiveness of His glory. “He only is my rock. My soul waits only upon the LORD, power belongs to God alone.” (Is. 48:11) I will not give My glory to another.
Our declarations should not come from our opinions nor some personal interpretation outside of what God has revealed of Himself but based from Creation, Revelation, and the Son of God. As those created in His image and likeness, by declaring who He clarifies our vision of Him, while redefining who we are as new creatures in Christ.
Today, we are simply standing before His throne and declaring who He is, what He has done, and what He says He will do. Although proclaiming Him and His works does not change Him, it does change us. Let’s make the voice of His praise to be heard and magnify Him together!
Declarative Statement: A definite explanation before any real argument is possible; a simple, concrete, proclamation that communicates or tells the truth; to take account and determine by messaging what is and is not; to know something as it is and to make it known.
- DECLARING THE PERSON OF GOD
Hebrews 11:6 NKJV
But without faith it is impossible to please Him,
FOR HE WHO COMES TO GOD MUST BELIEVE THAT HE IS,
and that HE IS a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
The LORD IS my Shepherd…
Main Point: To declare who God said He is and how He has revealed Himself through prophetic knowledge of His character and nature.
- And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM, and He said, thus you shall say to the children, I AM has sent me to you. –Ex. 3:14
- The essence of His greatness: ADONAI – ELOHIM: the glory, greatness, and displays of God’s power, sovereignty and majesty. “In the beginning GOD (ELOHIM) created the heavens and the earth. (Gen. 1:1)
- The essence of His holiness: (Is. 6:1-12) (Seraphims)…cried to another, holy, holy, holy is the LORD of host the whole earth is filled with His glory.
- The essence of His Love: (1 Jn. 4:7-8) For love is of God…God is love.
- The essence of God’s goodness: (Ps. 52:1) The goodness of God endures continually; (Ps. 119:68) You are good and do good.
- The essence of God’s justice: (Gen. 18:25) Will not the judge of all the earth do right? (89:14) Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne.
- The LORD GOD Omnipotent (All Powerful): (Rev. 19:6) Allelujah: to the LORD God omnipotent reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad, and give honor to Him.
- The LORD GOD Omniscience (All Knowing): (Rom. 11:33-36) O the depth of the riches of both the wisdom and knowledge of God; (Col. 1:17) He is before all things, and by Him all things exist.
- The LORD GOD Omnipresence (All Present): (Rom 11:36) For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things…(Ps. 139:5, 7 NIV) You hem me in –behind and before; where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
- The LORD GOD Omnisumphaneō (All Sensing, All Feeling, Fully Aware): (Heb. 4:15 Amp.) For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to sympathize and understand our weaknesses and temptations, but One who has been tempted [knowing exactly how it feels to be human] in every respect as we are, yet without [committing any] sin.
- The Sovereignty and Supremacy of God: (Is. 40:25, 28) To whom will you liken Me, or shall I be equal? Says the Holy One. Have you not known? Have you not heard?, that the Everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth, does not faint? There is no searching of His understanding.
- The Fatherhood of God: (Mt. 6:9) “Our Father which art in heaven.”
- The Sonship of God: (Mt. 6:16) You are the Christ, the SON OF THE LIVING GOD; Father DECLARED, This is My beloved Son. (Mt. 3:17)
- The Spirit of God: (Jn. 15:26) But when the Counselor has come, whom I will send you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father. He shall testify of Me. (Jn. 16:15) All things that the Father has are mine; therefore I said that He shall take of mine, and show it to you.
- DECLARING THE PRAISE OF GOD
Malachi 1:11 NKJV
For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down,
My name shall be great among the Gentiles;
In every place incense shall be offered to My name,
And a pure offering;
For My name shall be great among the nations,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
Psalm 89:1 KJV
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever: WITH MY MOUTH WILL I MAKE KNOWN thy faithfulness to all generations.
Main Point: To declare the praise of God because of who He is, what He has done, and what He has promised to do—to magnify the Lord by glorying His name.
- The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and are safe. –Prov. 18:10
- Because He has known My name…I will deliver him. –Ps. 91:14-15
- Our help is in the name of the LORD. –Ps. 124:8
- The people that know their God shall be strong and do mighty exploits. –Da. 11:32
- Let him trust in the LORD, and lean upon His name. –Is. 50:10
- Hallow by thy name.—Mt. 6:9
- Whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give it to you. –Jn. 16:23-24
- Holy Father, keep them through Your name. –Jn. 17:11
- By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God CONTINUALLY, that is, that is the fruit of our lips giving THANKS TO HIS NAME. –Heb. 13:15
- Magnify the LORD with me, let us exalt His name together. –Ps. 34:3
- Jehovah-Tzidenu (Our Righteousness) Now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. –Jer. 23:6; For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. –2 Cor. 5:21
- Jehovah-M’Kaddishchem (Our Sanctifier) And you shall keep My statutes, and perform them: I am the Lord who sanctifies you. –Lev. 20:8
- Jehovah-Shalom (Our Peace) Then the Lord said to him, “Peace be with you; do not fear, you shall not die. –Judges 6:23; For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation. – 2:14
- Jehovah-Shammah (He is there) …the name of the city from that day shall be: THE LORD IS THERE. –Ezk. 48:35; God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.—Ps. 46:1
- Jehovah-Tsebaith (Lord of Hosts) And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?” So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?” Then the Commander of the Lord’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is ” And Joshua did so. –Jsh. 5:13-15
- Jehovah-Rapha (Our Healer) But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. –Is. 53:5
- Jehovah-Jireh (Our Provider) Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son. And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided.” –Gen. 22:13-14; And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.—Phil. 4:19
- Jehovah-Nissi (Our Banner) What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. –Rom. 8:31, 37
- Jehovah-Raah (Our Shepherd) The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. –Ps. 23:1; My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. –Jn. 10:27-28
- Jehovah-Ahavah (Our Love) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. –1 Jn. 4:7-8, 16; Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments. –Deut. 7:9
- Jehovah-Quanna (Jealous One) You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. –Ex. 20:4-6 Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!” Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.—Jn. 2:13-17; Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. –Jam. 4:4-8
- El-Elyon (Most High God) And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” –Gen. 14:19-20
- El-Olam (Everlasting God) Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there called on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God. –Gen. 21:33
- El-Shaddai (Almighty God) When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. And I will make My covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.” Then Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying: –Gen. 17:1-3; They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads.— Rev. 22:4
- DECLARING THE WORKS OF GOD
Psalm 145:4 KJV
One generation shall praise thy WORKS to another,
and shall DECLARE THY MIGHTY ACTS.
Main Point: To declare the mighty acts of what God has done—to proclaim His wondrous works. To tell of what He has done because of who He is and what He will do.
- DECLARE HIS WORK among thy brethren; HIS MARVELOUS WORKS among the nations. Remember HIS MARVELOUS works which he has done. –1 Chron. 16:8-29
- The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. –Ps. 19:1 KJV
- By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth. –PS. 33:6 NIV
- Have you not known?Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? Lift up your eyes on high, And see who has created these things, Who brings out their host by number; He calls them all by name, By the greatness of His might And the strength of His power; Not one is missing. Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: “My way is hidden from the Lord, And my just claim is passed over by my God”? Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. –Is. 40:21, 26-28 NKJV
- For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. –Rom 1:18-25 NKJV
- By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. –Heb. 11:3 NKJV
- and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come. –Eph. 1:19-21 NKJV
- Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for HIS GOODNESS,And for His WONDERFUL WORKS to the children of men! –Ps. 107:8 NKJV
- All Your works shall praise You, O Lord,And Your saints shall bless You. –Ps. 145:10 NKJV
- They soon forgot HIS WORKS;They did not wait for His counsel. But they mingled with the Gentiles And LEARNED THEIR WORKS; Thus they were defiled by THEIR OWN WORKS,And played the harlot by their own deeds. –Ps. 106:13, 35, 39 NKJV
- I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;I will tell of all Your MARVELOUS WORKS. –Ps. 9:1 NKJV
- In spite of this they still sinned,And did not believe in His WONDROUS WORKS. –Ps. 78:32 NKJV
- …believe Me for the SAKE OF THE WORKS themselves. –Jn. 14:11 NKJV
- And we know that ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according toHis –Rom. 8:28 NKJV
- DECLARING THE WORDS OF GOD
I will worship toward thy holy temple,
and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and thy truth:
FOR THOU HAST MAGNIFIED THY WORD ABOVE ALL THY NAME
Main Point: To declare God’s praise, faithfulness, and goodness because of the power, wisdom, and understanding of His laws, teachings, principles, and promises.
- In the beginning was the Word. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. –Jn. 1:1, 14 NKJV
- As for God, His way is perfect; The WORD of the Lord is tried. –Ps. 18:30
- He sent FORTH HIS WORD and healed them. –Ps. 107:20
- …but I hope in Your WORD. –Ps. 119:81
- Your WORD is forever settled in heaven. –Ps. 119:89
- Your WORD is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. –Ps. 119:105
- Order my steps in Your WORD. –Ps.119:133
- Great peace have they which love Your WORD; nothing shall offend them. –Ps. 119:165
- The entrance of Your WORDS gives light;It gives understanding to the simple. –Ps. 119:130
- His WORD runneth swiftly. –Ps. 147:15 KJV
- Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every WORD that proceeds from the mouth of God.—Mt. 4:4
- So is MY WORD which goes forth out of My mouth; it shall not return to Me empty. –Is. 55:11
- Until the WORD OF THE LORD TRIED him. –Ps. 105:19
- Heaven and earth shall pass away; but MY WORDS shall not pass away. –Lk. 21:33
- The WORD of God is quick and powerful… –Heb. 4:12
- All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. –2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJV
- Above all, you must understandthat no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. –2 Pet. 1:20-21 NIV
- Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on himwas called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS ANDLORD OF LORDS. –Rev. 19:11-16 NKJV
- …take the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. –Eph. 6:17 NKJV
- DECLARING THE WORKMANSHIP OF GOD
Ephesians 2:10 NKJV
For we are HIS WORKMANSHIP, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Main Point: To declare before the throne of God, before the gates of hell, and to ourselves who God says we are individually and corporately.
Scriptures: HIS PERSONAL WORKMANSHIP
- I am a new creature in Christ Jesus. –2 Cor. 5:17
- I am chosen and accepted in the beloved. –Sg of Sol. 2:16; 1 Pet. 2:9; Eph. 1:4
- I am complete in Christ. –Col. 2:10
- I have the Greater One in me. –1 Jn. 4:4
- I am the Temple of the Holy Spirit. –1 Cor. 6:19
- I am more than a conqueror through Christ. –Rom. 8:37
- I am fearfully and wonderfully made. –Ps. 139:14
- I have a hope for the future planned for me. –Jer. 29:11
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. –Phil. 4:13
- I can do even greater works then Christ. –Jn. 14:12
- I am the light of the world and salt of the earth. –Mt. 5:14-16
- I am an overcomer, the head and not the foot, above and not beneath. –Deut. 28:13; 1 Jn. 5:4
HIS CORPORATE WORKMANSHIP
- We are a chosen generation…a royal priesthood. –1 Pet. 2:9
- We are being built together to a habitation of God through the Spirit.—Eph. 2:22
- We are living stones, being built into a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, offering up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Christ Jesus. –1 Pet. 2:5
- We are Kings and Priests to God the Father. –Rev. 1:6
- We are the body of Christ with many members and giftings. –Eph. 4:11-16; 1 Cor. 12
- If God be for us who can be against us? –Rom. 8:31
- No weapon formed against us can prosper. The weapons of our warfare are not physical but mighty before God. –Is. 54:17; 2 Cor. 10:45
- We are living epistles, open known and read of all men. –2 Cor. 3:2-3
- We have been raised up with Christ and seated with Him in heavenly places. –Eph. 1:3; 2:6
- We are partakers of His divine power and divine nature through His promises. –2 Pet. 1:3-4
- We always are led in triumphal procession in Christ. –2 Cor. 2:14; Col. 2:15
- We have been delivered from kingdom of darkness and translated into the Kingdom of the Son of His love. –Col. 1:13
- We have the Father’s house and fellowship in the beloved as a household of faith. –Eph. 2:19; Gal. 6:10
- As He is in heaven so are we in this world. –1 Jn. 4:17