24 May Online Prayer, The Promise of PENTECOST, Wed., May 24, 2017
Luke 24:49 NIV
I am going to send you what my Father has PROMISED:
but stay in JERUSALEM until you have been clothed with power from on high—
Acts 2:38-39 NIV
You will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The PROMISE is for you and
your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.
As the Feast of Pentecost approaches it is necessary for us to take hold of that which has taken hold of us. The Greek word for baptism is “baptízmό” which translated means to: immerse, submerge, overwhelm, or saturate. As an operating definition, “it is the person of the Holy Spirit enabling, empowering and emboldening the Disciples of Christ to carry out the Great Commandment and Great Commission”. It has been said, that “In salvation we receive all of Holy Spirit but in Spirit-baptism He receives all of us”.
The Scripture references multiple baptisms, as well as, the need for continual baptisms of the Holy Spirit’s activity. Ephesians 5:18 “be filled with the Spirit”; the literal expanded translation renders it: “be being filled, constantly controlled infilling and overflowing of the Holy Spirit’s working.” Our challenge today is not that we don’t have enough of the Holy Spirit, it is that He doesn’t have enough of us (see Ezk. 47). “The problem with the modern church is not that we don’t have a life, it is that we have a life—but it is not His Life!”
Today, we seek to recapture the Upper Room experience of all the promise that Pentecost holds. Let’s lay hold of the power of the Holy Spirit in 5 vital areas of living a Spirit-led Life: Desires, Imaginations, Faith, Power, and Fire.
- The Baptism of DESIRE
All my DESIRE is before You.
Definition: de-sire: to longingly hope for; a passion excitable by the love of an object; a request or wish directed towards an obtainment or possession; source of happiness or fulfillment of some objective.
Quote: “Desire is the beginning of all achievement.” –Napoleon
Main Point: To allow God to baptize our desires— because we disciplined ourselves to take hold of Him and His delights becomes our desires; to desire the one thing—HIM.
- One thing have I DESIRED of the LORD, that will I seek after…—Ps. 27:4 KJV
- There is none upon earth I DESIRE but You, but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever. –Ps. 73:25-36 NKJV
- Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But when DESIRE comes it is a TREE OF LIFE. –Prov. 13:12 NKJV
- He will fulfill the DESIRE of them that fear Him. –Ps. 145:19 NKJV
- Satan has DESIRED you to sift you as wheat. –Lk. 22:31 NKJV
- Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the DESIRES of your heart. –Ps. 37:4 NKJV
- Whatever things you DESIRE, when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. –Mk. 11:24 NKJV
- They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You shall cause them to drink of the rivers of your pleasures. –Ps. 36:8 NKJV
- The Upper Room revelation of the power of sanctified, holy desires.
- The Upper Room perspective of why Satan desires to sift us as wheat.
- The Upper Room realization that desire is a tree of life of good and evil and those who love it will eat of its fruit.
- The Upper Room pattern of waiting, worshipping, and walking with the Holy Spirit to have the Father’s desires done through us.
- The Upper Room search of the one thing that matters: “We will seek after the Lord.”
- The Upper Room distinction of desires being our greatest assets or greatest liabilities.
- Baptism of IMAGINATION
2 Cor. 10:5 KJVer
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that
exalts itself against the knowledge of God,
bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
Definition: Imagination – logimόs: a reckoning, calculation, consideration, reflection, a reflection preceding determination; a purpose in the image; the capacity to see or envision something mentally or spiritually.
Quote: “While reason is the natural organ of truth, imagination is the organ of meaning.
We don’t fully grasp the meaning of any word or concept until we have a
clear image that we can connect with it.” —C. S. Lewis
Main Point: To allow the Holy Spirit to continually baptize our imaginations/thinking to detox contaminated unrenewed visions and images; to unlock sanctified creativity and imagery of God and the mind of Christ.
- If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. –Col. 3:1-3 NKJV
- You will keep him in perfect peace those whose minds are stayed on You because he trusts in You. –Is. 26:3 NKJV
- The mind governed by the flesh is death,but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.—Rom. 8:6 NIV
- The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. —1 Tim. 1:5 NIV
- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. –Rom. 12:2 KJV
- Why do the nations rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? –Ps. 2:1 KJV
- And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they imagine to do will be withheld from them. –Gen. 11:6 KJV
- This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. –Eph. 4:17-24 NKJV
- Or this you know,that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose the… See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord —Eph. 5:5-17 NKJV
- But solid food belongs to those who are of full age,that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. –Heb. 5:14 NKJV
- For God’s people to detox their minds of carnal and worldly mindsets.
- For God’s people to learn to cast down vain imaginations and take captive every thought.
- For God’s people to understand that baptized imagination has unlimited power.
- For God’s people to co-op the Holy Spirit’s balance between reason and imagination.
- For God’s people to discern that Satan exploits the uncrucified imaginations in us with fiery darts.
- For God’s people to realize the battle of the minds and imagination is the most contested theater of conflict.
- For God’s people to step into Spirit-born creativity in every area of the Arts & Entertainment, Business, Education, Family, Government, Media, Science and Kingdom Advances.
- The Baptism of FAITH
1 Pet. 1:4-5 NLT
There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while.
These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests
and purifies gold—though your faith is for more precious than gold.
Definition: FAITH – pisteōs – firm persuasion; deep conviction, belief in truth and faithfulness of something or someone; rooted and grounded in truth and subjective reasoning; the handle on which the believer holds; “the faith” describes signature of one’s reason for living, belief system, and life lived out.
Quote: “The Holy Spirit will give the praying saint the brightness of immortal hope. In His baptism and communion with the heart, He will give sweeter and more enlarged visions of heaven until the taste for other things fade, and other visions grow dim and distant.” –E. M. Bounds
Main Point: To understand that without faith it is impossible to please God and with God all things are possible to those who believe: That faith will be tested and proved and greater faith is possible via the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.
- Above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. –Eph. 6:16 NKJV
- Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying:“There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, and ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’” Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” –Lk. 18:1-8 NKJV
- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. —Heb. 11:1, 6 NKJV
- So then faithcomes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 10:17 NKJV
- The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. –Gal. 5:6 NIV
- For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our —1 Jn. 5:4 NKJV
- Jesus said to him,“If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.” But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”—Mk. 9:23, 29; 10:27 NKJV
- So Jesus answered and said to them,“Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have –Mk. 11:22-24 NKJV
- But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. —Jam. 1:22-25 NKJV
- To have Upper Room faith to wait and believe until the promise of the Father comes.
- To experience Upper Room assurance of Faith and Hope grounded in God’s promises.
- To mobilize the Upper Room visitation again to the valleys of decision, the highways and byways, and to the least of these.
- To understand the Upper Room reality that genuine faith will be tried and purified.
- To co-op the Upper Room example that “faith without works is dead.”
- To connect our beliefs with the behavior of those in the Upper Room—that the Holy Spirit desires for us to grow in faith and it is our responsibility to increase in faith as we mature in Christ.
- To possess the Upper Room Faith that tramples over unbelief and starves doubts to death by hearing and doing God’s Word.
- The Baptism of POWER
God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the HOLY SPIRIT and POWER,
and how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed
of the devil because God was with him.
Definition: Power (dunamis) – to empower and embolden; supernatural endowment of strength and courage; to enable through immersion; to envelop in heavenly power; to submit by submersion to the Holy Spirit’s infilling.
Quote: “The balance of holiness of life and power for ministry is indispensable to any attempt to give theological expression to the deepest ministry of the Holy Spirit.” –Dr. Mark Rutland
- Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.—Lk. 24:49 NKJV
- But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Mein Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.—Acts 1:8 NKJV
- Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. –Rom. 8:26-28 NKJV
- For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God. –Rom. 8:14-16 NKJV
- But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” –Gal. 6:6-4 NKJV
- Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. – 1 Cor. 14:1-4 NKJV
- But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit. –Jude 20 NKJV
- When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment. –Jn. 16:8 NIV
- Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.—Phil. 2:12-13 NIV
- The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you. —2 Cor. 13:14 The MSG
- How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. –Acts 10:38; 19:2-6 NKJV
- For the church the experience a 21st Century Pentecost.
- For the church to learn to wait until they are endued with supernatural power.
- For the church to relearn the power of praying in the Spirit.
- For the church to study the Scriptures and person of the Holy Spirit.
- For the church to understand the absolute wonder of Spiritual adoption and sonship.
- For the church to learn to be led by the Spirit as sons not driven as slaves.
- For the church to understand the problem today is not that we don’t have enough of the Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit does not have enough of us. (Ezk. 47)
- Baptism of FIRE
He will baptize you with the HOLY SPIRIT and FIRE.
Definition: Fire – purόs: the burning passion of God; zeal of the LORD; trials and tribulations that test the righteous; the baptism that purifies faith, hope, and love toward eternal rewards.
Quote: “Without fire, how can impurities be separated from gold?
Without striking the iron, how can it become a tool?
Without chiseling, how can jade become a piece of art?
Without pressing, how can grapes become wine?”
–Brother Cheng (Letter from Chinese prison of 15 years)
Main Point: For 21st Century disciples to not fear the fire of persecution but fan the flame of passion for God. Whether by passion or persecution our baptisms will purify, refine, and prove us ready to face any opposition, overcome any obstacle, and obtain every promise laid up for us by the Father.
- …that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. –Eph. 5:25-27 NKJV
- In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith,being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen[a] you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your —1 Pet. 1:6-9 NKJV
- Blessedis the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. —Jam. 1:12 NKJV
- “Behold, I send My messenger,And he will prepare the way before Me.And the Lord, whom you seek, Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the Messenger of the covenant In whom you delight. Behold, He is coming,” Says the Lord of hosts. “But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner’s fire And like launderers’ soap. He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the Lord An offering in righteousness.” –Mal. 3:1-3 NKJV
- Daniel 3:1-25 NKJV
- But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob,And He who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.
For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. – Is. 43:1-3 NKJV
- Behold, I have created the blacksmith Who blows the coals in the fire,Who brings forth an instrument for his work;And I have created the spoiler to destroy.No weapon formed against you shall prosper,And every tongue which rises against you in judgment
You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the Lord. – Is. 54:16-17 NKJV
- When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”—Mt. 8:10-12 NKJV
- But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 14:26-27 NKJV
- Strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.—Acts. 14:22
- For I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him. –Phil. 1:19; 29 NIV
- For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. –2 Tim. 1:6-7 NIV
- For 21st Century disciples to :
- Understand the Baptism of Holy Fire.
- Know that fire of God purifies our faith, hope, and hope.
- Realize that whether by persecution or passion we will be persecuted and proven by fiery trials.
- The Holy Spirit will bring this passion and zeal of God but it is our responsibility to fan the flames.
- Holy fire for the sinner and unsanctified means loss, but for the righteous and faithful it means purity and reward. (1 Cor. 3:10 ff)
- The fire of God forges the promise of God when His workmanship is complete.
- Holy Fire is our friend, not foe!
- Fire of God works:
- Purifying = Passions
- Warming = Love
- Illumination = Truth
- Fueling = Power